Start a new tradition this year with the perfect holiday breakfast on Christmas morning — festive, baked gingerbread french toast casserole.
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon all spice
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 loaf bread, cubed into 1” pieces (French baguette or other crusty, dense loaf)
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- maple syrup (optional)
- powdered sugar (optional)
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, heavy cream, cinnamon, ginger, all spice, cloves, nutmeg, and salt to create the custard mixture.
- Place cubed bread in a large mixing bowl, then pour custard mixture on top. Stir to combine, then let sit for 30 minutes, tossing once halfway through.
- Meanwhile, soak cranberries in a small bowl with orange juice for 10 minutes, then drain.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray a 9″ x 13″ baking pan with non-stick baking spray, then pour in bread and custard mixture. Sprinkle on cranberries, dispersing evenly.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Serve warm with powdered sugar or maple syrup (or both!).