Festive baked gingerbread french toast casserole with cranberries is soft on the inside and crispy outside. The best holiday breakfast on Christmas morning.
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon all-spice blend
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 loaf of bread, cubed into 1-inch pieces (French baguette or other crusty, dense loaf)
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- maple syrup (optional, for serving)
- confectioners' sugar (optional, for serving)
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, heavy cream, cinnamon, ginger, all spice, cloves, nutmeg, and salt to create the custard mixture.
- Place cubed bread in a large mixing bowl, then pour custard mixture on top. Stir to combine, and let sit for 30 minutes (up to overnight), tossing once halfway through.
- Meanwhile, soak cranberries in a small bowl with orange juice for 10 minutes, then drain.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray a 9x13-inch baking pan with non-stick baking spray. Pour in bread and custard mixture and sprinkle on cranberries on top, dispersing evenly.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Serve warm with a dusting of powdered sugar and/or a drizzle of maple syrup on top.
Make ahead instructions: To make this a day ahead, transfer the large mixing bowl with soaked bread into the refrigerator, cover and store overnight. Then, transfer to a 9x13 baking pan in the morning, and add cranberries on top.
How to store: Cover or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
How to reheat: Reheat in the microwave for about one minute or in a 350F preheated oven for 10-15 minutes until warmed through.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes (+30 minutes rest time)
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: baked gingerbread french toast casserole, gingerbread french toast, baked french toast, baked breakfast casserole, gingerbread french toast casserole, christmas french toast, holiday french toast