Asparagus tart with Gruyère cheese, a balsamic glaze, and flaky puff pastry, is a flavourful and delicious addition to brunch this spring season.
- 1 (10x15-inch) sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 cup Gruyère cheese (or cheddar cheese), shredded
- 1 lb. medium asparagus, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- On a clean and lightly floured surface, prepare and roll out the puff pastry into a 10x15-inch rectangle. Transfer to a large half sheet baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Use a knife to gently score a 1-inch border around the pastry dough. Make sure to score the pastry with shallow cuts and do not cut through the pastry.
- Use a fork to lightly poke holes all over the pastry dough (inside the scored border). Do not poke through the dough. This allows the steam to escape during baking so that the pastry doesn't puff up in the oven.
- Sprinkle Gruyère cheese evenly over the pastry inside the border and top with asparagus in a single layer alternating ends and tips.
- In a small bowl, add olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper, and stir well to combine. Brush the mixture evenly over the asparagus and top with Parmesan cheese.
- In another small bowl, whisk together egg and milk. Brush the egg wash over the border on all sides.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until the crust is golden brown and puffy. Let the tart cool for 2-3 minutes before slicing and serving.
How to trim asparagus: To trim the asparagus, you can use a knife, kitchen scissors, or your hands. To trim without any tools, just hold the ends and bend until the bottom snaps off. If your asparagus is fresh, you should end up with a clean snap.
How to garnish: You can completely elevate this baked asparagus tart by simply adding a garnish to go with the balsamic and Parmesan. Try sundried tomatoes, fresh basil, or roasted garlic.
How to store: Asparagus tart is best eaten fresh. It can be stored at room temperature the day it is made but should be refrigerated if you will keep it for longer than a few hours. Store it in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
How to reheat: Reheat asparagus tart in a 300 F preheated oven for 10 minutes, or in the air fryer for 5-10 minutes until warmed through.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Tart
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: asparagus tart, asparagus cheese tart, cheesy asparagus tart, asparagus tart with gruyère, asparagus tart with cheese, spring tart,