Tender juicy Asian sesame soy turkey roast is a creative take on a holiday classic, packed with sweet, salty, and savoury umami flavours in every bite.
- 1 boneless turkey roast (3 lbs.)
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon ginger, freshly grated
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Allow the boneless turkey roast to thaw completely in the refrigerator for one day. Then, remove the plastic bag, but leave the attached netting on.
- In a food blender, add all marinade ingredients including soy sauce, onion, brown sugar, garlic, sesame seeds, ginger, and sesame oil. Blend for one minute until smooth.
- Transfer the thawed turkey into a zip-loc bag and slowly pour in the prepared marinade. Press the air out of the bag and seal tightly. Press the marinade around the turkey to fully coat. Transfer the turkey into the refrigerator and marinate for at least 1 hour, up to overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 325 F. Remove turkey from the zip-loc bag and place it on the rack of a shallow roasting pan. Reserve the marinade and set aside.
- Roast the turkey uncovered for about 2.5 hours, until internal temperature reaches 165F as read on a meat thermometer. Turn the turkey roast over once, halfway through cooking.
- To develop a darker brown crust, brush olive oil over the turkey roast and broil for 3-4 minutes. Let the turkey rest for 10 minutes before carving.
- Transfer the reserved marinade into a small saucepan and add one teaspoon of flour. Whisk until smooth. Heat over medium heat, and stir continuously until thickened to a desired consistency, about 2-3 minutes.
- Use kitchen scissors to carefully remove the netting from turkey roast and carve into slices. Pour the sesame sauce on top, as desired.
How to thaw: For the best results, thaw the frozen turkey in the refrigerator overnight. You can also cook this recipe directly from frozen (see next note below). If you have the time, I would recommend thawing first as marinating the turkey ahead of time will allow it to absorb the most flavour.
How to cook from frozen: You can also cook this directly from frozen. To do so, just skip the marinating step, and instead cook the turkey roast for about 2 hours 15 minutes, until the internal temperature reaches 165 F as read on a meat thermometer. Open the oven halfway through cooking to brush on a generous amount of the sesame soy sauce on the roast. Reserve half of the sauce to finish.
How to store: Allow the turkey roast to cool to room temperature, then transfer it into an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Store the sauce in a separate airtight container in the refrigerator, if possible.
How to freeze: Extend the shelf life of your roasted turkey by freezing it for up to four months. After cooling, portion the turkey roast into airtight, freezer-safe bags or airtight containers before placing in freezer.
How to reheat: Reheat turkey in the oven at 300F for 15 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165F. Thinly sliced turkey will take less time to reheat compared to thick ones. Alternately, reheat in the microwave in 20-second increments until heated all the way through.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes (+1 hour to marinate)
- Cook Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- Category: Turkey
- Method: Roast
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: asian sesame soy turkey roast, turkey roast, asian turkey roast, soy turkey roast, butterball turkey roast,