Apple cardamom cake with caramel pecan butter frosting is the perfect fall cake and is made by combining all your favourite fall flavours together.
- 3 cups of purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3 eggs
- 1 and 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup corn oil or vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup of sour cream
- 2 cups grated apples, drained (approx. 5-6 medium sized apples)
- 1 cup of chopped and roasted pecans
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- pinch of salt
- 2 and 1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 (14 oz.) can condensed milk (or dulce de leche)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2-3 tablespoons caramel (see above for recipe)
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and cardamom. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar together with a hand mixer until the mixture turns a light yellow colour. Continue beating while slowly adding brown sugar, oil and sour cream until fully combined.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients and continue beating. Add in apples and beat until combined.
- Grease and flour three 8-inch cake pans. Divide the batter among the cake pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes until brown. Check if it is ready with a toothpick (must come out clean).
- Allow layers to cool completely.
- Preheat the cream. It must be hot when you add it to the caramel otherwise it may create a little explosion and cause burns!
- Gradually melt down the sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Important: add a little bit in a time. Watch the sugar to make sure that it does not get burnt.
- Slowly add butter while stirring the mixture. Add the pre-heated cream and a pinch of salt.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat butter for a few minutes and slowly add sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy. Continue to beat while gradually adding condensed milk.
- Add cinnamon and caramel and beat the mixture for another minute.
- If the cakes are rounded on top, even with a knife or a cake sting.
- Put the first layer on a cake stand. Spread frosting on the first layer. Top the frosting with some pecans.
- Put the second layer upside down and spread some caramel. Flip it on top of the first layer and repeat the procedure with frosting, pecans and caramel.
- Spread the frosting all over the cake. Put the cake in the fridge before decoration.
- Pipe the rest of the frosting on top of the cake using Wilton 6B open star tip, sprinkle with pecans and top with some caramel.
- Plan additional time for assembling the cake and decorating.
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Category: Dessert