Quick and easy 30-minute butternut squash soup is simple yet packed with flavour, is naturally vegan and gluten-free, and can be made ahead of time.
- 1 + 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped (about 1 medium onion)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups butternut squash, chopped into 1/2-inch to 1-inch pieces (about 1 small butternut squash)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (400 ml) can coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
- pecans, chopped (for topping)
- fresh herbs (for topping)
- Heat oil in a large cooking pot over medium high heat. Add onions and until soft and translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add butternut squash, salt and pepper. Sauté for 6-7 minutes, stirring frequently for even cooking.
- Add vegetable broth, coconut milk and maple syrup, and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer on medium-low heat for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and puree the soup in the pot using an immersion blender, or transfer the soup to a heavy duty blender and puree in batches. If the soup is too watery, place the pot of pureed soup back on the stove and simmer uncovered over medium-low heat until desired consistency is reached, stirring occasionally. If the soup is too thick, add in some water to thin it out.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste and serve topped with chopped pecans and thyme.
How to change the consistency: If the soup is too watery, place the pot of pureed soup back on the stove and simmer uncovered over medium-low heat until desired consistency is reached, stirring occasionally. If the soup is too thick, add in some water to thin it out.
How to store: You can easily store this soup by placing the pot with the lid in the refrigerator, or transferring the soup to an airtight container. It will keep for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
How to freeze: To freeze, transfer soup to an airtight container and place in the freezer for up to 3 months. To reheat, place on the counter and let it thaw at room temperature. Then reheat on the stove.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: 30-minute butternut squash soup, easy butternut squash soup, quick butternut squash soup, thanksgiving soup