Persian Chickpea Cookies with Pistachio (Nan-e Nokhodchi) is a crumbly, melt-in-your-mouth cookie, made with the fragrant flavours of rose water, cardamom and pistachio.
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon finely ground cardamom
- 1/2 tablespoon rose water
- 1 and 3/4 cups fine chickpea flour
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped or ground pistachios
- Combine the oil, sugar, cardamom and rose water in bowl. Using a hand mixer, mix on medium for 2-3 minutes until light and creamy.
- Sift chickpea flour into the bowl and beat on low for 1 minute until the dough is no longer sticky.
- Dust your work surface with some chickpea flour and knead the dough for 10 minutes until it is more workable. The dough is very crumbly.
- Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and set aside for 2 hours. Do not refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 300 F and line baking tray with parchment paper.
- Roll out the dough on a dusted work surface until it is 3/4-inch thick. Cut out cookies using a 1-inch clover-shaped cookie cutter and place the cookies on the baking tray, spaced 1 inch apart. Re-roll and repeat until all the dough is used up.
- Sprinkle chopped pistachios on top of each cookie.
- Place cooking tray in middle rack and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the cookies turn a light golden colour.
- Remove cookies from oven and let it cool on tray for a few minutes. Then carefully transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Be careful when you transfer the cookies as they crumble very easily.
- Store the cookies in an airtight container for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.