Persian Rice Cookies with Poppy Seeds (Nan-e Berenji) are irresistible, melt-in-your-mouth cookies made of rice flour, fragrant rose water and crunchy poppy seeds.
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups fine rice flour
- 1/4 cup rose water
- 1-2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- In a large bowl, mix together the oil and sugar with a hand mixer on medium speed for 1-2 minutes.
- Add egg yolk and mix for another 20-30 seconds.
- Sift in the rice flour, in three batches. Using a spatula, fold in the flour into mixture after each batch is added.
- Add the rose water.
- Knead the mixture for 5-10 minutes. Shape into a ball and wrap tightly with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325 F and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll dough into small 1-inch balls and flatten the cookie into a small disc. Repair any cracks on the edges and place on baking sheet.
- Using the curve of a small teaspoon make overlapping arch-shaped indentation marks on the top. Sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the bottom and edges begins to turn a light golden colour.
- Let completely cool before carefully removing from baking tray.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Persian
Keywords: Persian rice cookies with poppy seeds, nan-e berenji, persian cookies, gluten-free cookies, dairy-free cookies, rice flour cookies