It's officially fall so bring on the ultimate comfort food: creamy, cheesy, classic baked macaroni and cheese with a crunchy topping.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Macaroni and Cheese Sauce:
- 1 + 1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 4 + 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 + 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 tablespoon mustard powder
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup fresh Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- In a large skillet, melt the butter on medium heat.
- Add the panko breadcrumbs and garlic. Stir and cook for about 5 minutes until the breadcrumbs turn golden brown.
- Transfer into a small bowl and mix in the paprika and salt. Set aside.
Macaroni and Cheese:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cook the macaroni according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan melt the butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour to make a roux. Stir constantly for about 3-4 minutes until roux is light and golden.
- Gradually add in the milk, whisking constantly to incorporate. The sauce will thicken and clump in the beginning but once you add in more milk, it will smoothen out again.
- Add in the cheddar, Parmesan and mozzarella cheeses and reduce heat to low. Add in the mustard powder and stir until cheese has melted.
- Add in the macaroni and stir together to fully coat with the cheese sauce.
- Transfer the macaroni into a 8” by 8” casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumb topping evenly on top of the macaroni.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: baked macaroni and cheese, baked mac and cheese, mac and cheese with crumb topping, how to make mac and cheese, macaroni and cheese with breadcrumbs