Take advantage of in-season asparagus this spring and savour its flavour in a delicious and smooth, creamless cream of asparagus soup.
- 2 tablespoons butter (or olive oil if making this vegan/dairy-free/paleo)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 rib of celery, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 russet potato, chopped
- 3 cups asparagus, chopped into 1 inch pieces, woody ends removed
- 5 cups of chicken stock (or vegetable stock if making this vegetarian)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup asparagus tips only (optional for garnish)
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Saute the onions, garlic and celery until the onions are soft and translucent. Add the potatoes and asparagus and mix well.
- Add the chicken (or vegetable) stock. Bring to a simmer.
- Turn the heat down to low and continue to simmer for about 15 minutes, until the vegetables have become soft.
- Puree the soup in batches using your blender and pour it back to the pot.
- Add the lemon juice and black pepper and stir to mix. On low, continue to cook for a couple of minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot with crackers and asparagus tips on top.
To prepare the asparagus garnish:
- Cook the tips in boiling salted water for about 4 minutes they are slightly tender. Drain and serve on top of your bowl of soup.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: creamless cream of asparagus soup, creamy asparagus soup, asparagus soup, asparagus recipes