Creamless cream of asparagus soup is healthy, delicious, smooth, creamy, quick and easy to make. A perfect spring soup for a last minute lunch or dinner.
- 2 tablespoons butter (or olive oil if making this vegan/dairy-free/paleo)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 rib of celery, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 russet potato, chopped
- 3 cups asparagus, chopped into 1-inch pieces, woody ends removed
- 5 cups of chicken stock (or vegetable stock if making this vegetarian)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 cup asparagus tips only (optional for garnish)
- In a large stockpot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Sauté the onions, garlic and celery until the onions are soft and translucent. Add the potatoes and asparagus and stir well to combine.
- Add the chicken (or vegetable) stock, and bring to a simmer. Turn the heat down to low and continue to simmer for about 15 minutes, covered, until the vegetables have become soft.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup. Alternatively, you can transfer the soup to a standing blender and puree in batches, then pour it back into the pot.
- Add the lemon juice and black pepper and stir to mix. Continue to cook on low for a couple of minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot with coconut cream, microgreens and/or asparagus tips on top.
To prepare the asparagus garnish:
- Cook the tips in boiling salted water for about 4 minutes they are slightly tender. Drain and serve on top of your bowl of soup.
To make this soup vegetarian: use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
To make this soup vegan, dairy-free or paleo: also substitute the butter for 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
Use a blender: Use an immersion blender or standup blender to puree your soup rather than a food processor. The blender will get the soup ultra smooth, whereas the food processor won't blend the vegetables as well and may leave it slightly textured.
How to store: Creamless asparagus soup keeps for up to 4 days in the refrigerator. Store covered in the pot or in an airtight container.
How to freeze: Made too much? No worries, this soup freezes very well. Freeze in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 3 months. To serve, defrost overnight in the refrigerator or at room temperature on the kitchen counter for a few hours.
How to reheat: Reheat this soup on the stovetop over medium-low heat until warmed through. You may have to add a splash of water to thin out the soup if it has thickened up too much when stored.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: creamless cream of asparagus soup, creamy asparagus soup, asparagus soup, asparagus recipes