Basmati rice with saffron is an essential side in Middle Eastern diets. Make it in 15 minutes with this easy-to-follow recipe.
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 4 cups water
- 1-2 tablespoons vegetable oil or butter
- salt to taste
- pinch of saffron (optional)
- 1 teaspoon hot water
- Pour the rice into a medium-sized pot.
- Fill up the pot halfway and rinse the water. Discard the water.
- Repeat this step 2-3 times to rinse the rice unit the water becomes clear. Again, discard the water.
- Add the 4 cups of water, vegetable oil and salt.
- Bring the pot to a boil over high heat.
- Allow the water to continue to boil until it has been absorbed by the rice and you no longer see any water over top of the rice (roughly 5 minutes).
- Turn the heat down to low and cover the rice.
- Cook for 30-40 minutes.
- Create a saffron-infused garnish: Grind a pinch of saffron using a mortar and pestle. If you don’t have one of those, just grind it in a small bowl using the back of a small spoon. Next, add a 1 tsp. of hot water and mix evenly. Take 1/2 cup of the cooked rice and add it in. Mix well until rice is fully combined and becomes a beautiful yellow colour.