Quick and easy, one-pan, 10-minute seafood fried rice with tiger prawns is so much healthier, tastier and better than takeout. It's the easiest weeknight dinner.
- 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb. tiger prawns, peeled and deveined (approximately 10 pieces)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 1/2 cup frozen sweet corn
- 3 cups freshly cooked white rice (can use leftover rice)
- 2 teaspoons satay sauce (or satay paste)
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons maggi sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon green onions (approximately 1 full stem), chopped
- 1 teaspoon roasted white sesame seeds (optional)
- 2 teaspoons masago caviar (optional)
- Heat oil in a large wok or skillet over medium high heat for one minute. Add prawns, continuously stir and flip the over until both sides turn orange and are cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- Push the prawns to one side to make space for cooking the eggs. Add beaten eggs with a pinch of the sliced green onions into empty side of the pan, and stir until scrambled and cooked through, yet still tender.
- Add carrots, sweet corn, and peas to the pan. Continuously stir for a minute to cook and evenly mix.
- Add the rice and turn the heat up to high. It's very important to cook fried rice over high heat to achieve the best texture. If you are using leftover rice, add up to 1/4 cup of water to soften the rice. Continuously stir for a minute to cook and evenly mix and distribute the ingredients.
- Add satay sauce, sesame oil, and salt, and keep stirring, for about 1 minute. Add maggi sauce and green onions at the end and stir to combine.
- Top with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and masago caviar (roe) on top, and serve.
. You will need to continuously stir throughout the cooking process to ensure even distribution of heat across the dish, and even cooking. Fried rice is about uniformity. The rice is supposed to be evenly cooked and all the pieces should have the exact same flavour and texture. I often use 2 spatulas for cooking this dish.
. Cook the eggs on medium high heat until cooked through, yet tender. You don't want the eggs to get to a very dry stage early on. You want them to be springy and bright in colour.
Cook fried rice over high heat. Cook fried rice over high heat to achieve the best mix of texture and flavours. Asian fried rice is supposed to be cooked quickly, so cooking over high heat speeds up the cooking process.
- Category: Rice
- Method: Stir Fry
- Cuisine: Chinese
Keywords: fried rice, seafood fried rice, shrimp fried rice, fried rice with shrimp, weeknight dinner