There are a few dishes that we make in our home that fall under my husband's department and Chinese fried rice with shrimp is one of them. If he even sees me making it, he will take over. My theory is that because it turns out so good, I think he wants the credit for it. And I gladly allow him to take over because that means I get to stretch my legs out and relax!
We always have a pot of cooked rice in our home. I make a fresh batch about every 2-3 days and make enough to have left overs in the fridge for the next day or 2. So making fried rice is super easy in our home. Plus, it gives us some variety over the typical plain white rice that we often consume. So yes, we get excited when we make fried rice. But add some shrimp in there and see the excitement level sky-rocket! (I think we may need to get out more...).
Chinese fried rice with shrimp is one of my favourite "go-to"s for a weeknight meal. It is ready in less than 30 minutes and you do not need to fuss over making additional dishes to create a complete dinner. It is a complete meal all on its own. The downside to learning this easy and simple recipe is that you will never order it at the restaurant again. Seriously, just watch how quickly you will stop ordering take-out! I guess that is not really much of a downside... 😛
Another great thing about this recipe is that it is so versatile. Don't like shrimp? Well, easily substitute it for chicken, beef or pork. Are you a vegetarian? Make this without the shrimp or substitute the shrimp with tofu.
Essential Tips for the Perfect Fried Rice with Shrimp
- Use cold, cooked rice that is at least a day old. Warm rice will get sticky and mushy.
- Use medium to long-grain rice. Basmati rice or Jasmine rice are great options.
- Marinate the shrimp for at least 10 minutes.
- Fry the ingredients separately and combine the fried ingredients together at the end.
Make your own Chinese fried rice with shrimp in 25 minutes, from prep to dinner table, and watch how quickly you will never order take-out again!
- 1 and 1/2 cups shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 green onions, sliced and separated into "whiter" half and "green" half
- 1/2 cup frozen carrots
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 3 cups day old cooked rice
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chicken stock powder
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- In a medium bowl, mix together shrimp, ginger, salt and pepper. Let shrimp marinate for 10 minutes.
- Heat vegetable oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add shrimp and cook, stirring occasionaly, for about 2-3 minutes until the shrimp turn pink. Transfer to a plate (reserving the oil in the pan) and set aside.
- Pour the eggs in the same pan on medium heat. Cook one side and flip over and cook the other side. Transfer the eggs to a plate and cut it into small strips. Set aside.
- In a wok, heat the sesame oil over medium high heat. Add garlic and the "white" half of the green onions and cook for about 3-4 minutes until onions become soft.
- Stir in carrots, peas and corn and cook for about 3-4 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the rice, soy sauce, chicken stock powder, white pepper and the rest of the green onions. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and eggs and stir well to combine.
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Chinese