It’s Valentine’s Day which means it’s all about those 3 little words. And what’s the best 3 litttle words of all? … Chocolate covered strawberries.
No other treat is more romantic then chocolate covered strawberries. And no other treat is easier. All you do is dip the strawberries into chocolate and place it on parchment paper to cool. You can also decorate the strawberries with chocolate drizzle and sprinkles.
I created chocolate drizzle by scooping up a bunch of chocolate onto a fork and waved it back and forth over the strawberries to create what I like to call abstract art. However, if you want to the drizzle to be neater, you will need to transfer the chocolate into a piping bag and pipe the drizzle on top. The way I see it, abstract or neat, they both taste the same — amazingly delicious!
How to Melt Chocolate
Chocolate is easy to melt but it can be disastrous if not done right. We want smooth chocolate, not dry and crumbly!
There are 2 ways to melt chocolate:
- on the stove
- in the microwave
My go-to technique is on the stove. The key is to melt the chocolate over low heat. What you will need to do is bring 2 inches of water to a low simmer in a saucepan. Place your chocolate chips into a heatproof bowl. Place the bowl on the mouth of the pot. Make sure that there is a gap between the bottom of the bowl and the water. Stir the chocolate as it melts. Your chocolate should melt within a few minutes.
The second way to melt chocolate (and the easier way) is in the microwave. Place the chocolate into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 30-45 seconds until melted. Stir chocolate together until completely smooth.
- 12 strawberries, washed and dried
- ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
- ¾ cup white chocolate chips, melted
- food colouring (optional)
- assorted sprinkles (optional)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Dip half the strawberries into melted chocolate and place on parchment paper.
- Dip the remaining strawberries into melted white chocolate. Note: if you want to make the chocolate pink for Valentine's Day, add a drop of pink or red food colouring to the white chocolate first.
- Drizzle the remaining chocolate on top and sprinkle with assorted sprinkles (optional).
- Place baking sheet in the refrigerator and chill for 30 minutes.