Finally, a recipe that you can make days before Thanksgiving! Easy make-ahead cranberry sauce. You literally have no excuse to serve cranberry sauce out of a can when it only takes 15 minutes and 4 ingredients to make. Yes, I told you it was easy.
So there are basically 2 steps. That’s right, 2 steps. The first step is to heat the orange juice and the sugar until the sugar dissolves and the mixture begins to boil. The second step is so add the cranberries and allow the mixture returns to a boil and simmer on low.
When the mixture is simmering, you will notice a popping sound. This is because cranberries “pop” or burst when heated, so do not be alarmed! Just be careful of any splashing.
What to do with left overs?
When I host a big Thanksgiving, I usually make double the amount. However, what that means is that there are always leftovers. Here are some things I do with my leftover cranberry sauce:
- Make leftover cranberry sauce muffins with oat streusel topping.
- Serve over top of pancakes with a side of whipped cream.
- Use it as jam and spread over toast.
- Serve a scoop over top of cinnamon and walnut porridge.
- Spread on a ciabatta bun and add left over turkey to make a sandwich.
- Add it to yogurt and granola and make a parfait.
Take the stress out of the holidays and prepare easy make-ahead cranberry sauce days before the big holiday dinner!
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 8 oz. cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- pinch of cinnamon (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, pour in the orange juice and add the sugar. Cook on high until the mixture boils. Stir to dissolve the sugars.
- Add the cranberries and bring mixture back to a boil.
- Turn the heat down to low and cook for 10 minutes, until the most of the cranberries burst.
- Once the cranberries have burst, add a pinch of cinnamon (optional).
- Remove from heat and mash with the back of a spoon.
- Let mixture cool at room temperature. Transfer mixture to a tupperware container and refrigerate overnight.
Make leftover cranberry sauce muffins with oat streusel topping with the leftovers.