The holidays are the best time of year, mainly because of the FOOD! One of my favourite dishes to serve are tender and caramelized, easy roasted brussels sprouts tossed in balsamic vinegar and honey. Now that’s a mouthful of yum!
I love roasting vegetables because it is the quickest and simplest way to make vegetables. It takes only 10 minutes to prep and then you let the oven do the rest of the work while you can relax and kick your feet up! But brussels sprouts are a particularly good contender for roasting because firstly, roasting enhances the flavour ten-fold; and secondly, the roasting process creates an amazing balance between caramelized on the outside yet soft and tender on the inside. Why is my mouth watering right now as I am typing… why!?!
As a child, I disliked brussels sprouts. Well, to be fair, I think I just stayed away from them because I don’t remember even trying them. But sometimes (when it comes to food at least) you just have to ignore your inner child! Now, these sprouts are a necessity on my holiday table. It’s funny how things turn out. 🙂 In fact now that these little “mini cabbages” are abundant and fresh in the grocery store, I take every opportunity to make them throughout the entire season.
- 2 lbs. brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved lengthwise
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat oven to 415 F.
- In a large bowl, add the brussels sprouts, olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss to combine.
- Spread brussels sprouts evenly in a large, lined baking tray.
- Place tray in oven and roast for 20 minutes. Halfway through, give the pan a quick stir so that the brussels sprouts brown evenly.
- Once cooked, place cooked brussels sprouts back into a large bowl and add balsamic vinegar and honey. Toss to combine and serve hot!
Check out my favourite holiday dishes:
- Healthy Mashed Potatoes
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- Creamy Garlic Mashed Cauliflower
- Easy Make-Ahead Cranberry Sauce
- Classic Homemade Turkey Gravy
- Arugula Salad with Apple and Pecan
- Oven-Roasted Corn on the Cob with Garlic Butter