It may be September and fall is right around the corner, but sometimes you just want to hang on to summer and savour in the last few sunny days. On sunny days, I crave something light and refreshing. How does a simple tomato cucumber and avocado salad topped with cilantro and sunflower seeds and drizzled with a homemade lemon vinaigrette sound? My mouth is watering already and I just had this for lunch yesterday… true story.
I love salads. I could eat salad all day and all night. I eat it not only in summer, but all year round. And no matter how complicated or simple the salad is, my favourite ingredient has got to be tomatoes. There are some of you that absolutely despise tomatoes, but not me. As a child, I used to eat tomatoes like an apple. I would have a salt shaker in one hand and my tomato in another and I would bite into it and top it off with salt before the next bite.
When I wasn’t eating tomatoes by themselves, I was eating them chopped up in a salad mainly with cucumber and homemade lemon vinaigrette. As I got older, I introduced a few more ingredients into the mix. But in line with keeping things simple, all you need for this perfect salad are tomatoes, cucumber, avocado, cilantro, and sunflower seeds. The lemon vinaigrette is also very simple and requires only lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. I am sure you have most of these ingredients in your house right now… so what are you waiting for!? You too can eat a big plate of this right now!
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- ½ English cucumber, sliced and quartered
- 1 avocado, chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (roughly from ½ lemon)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, add the tomatoes, cucumber, avocado, cilantro and sunflower seeds.
- In a small bowl, mix together the lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Pour over the salad and toss gently to combine.