What is better than the best classic, soft and chewy peanut butter cookies? Umm… to be honest, not a whole lot comes to mind. Get ready to fall in love with a cookie. A puffy, thick circular pile of goodness.
Growing up, peanut butter cookies meant thin, hard and crunchy cookies to me. The ones that were in my great aunt’s tin for what seemed to be a few weeks too long — way past their expiration date. But then something amazing happened a few years ago. I tried an incredible, 3-inch wide, soft peanut butter cookie from the bakery section of my local grocery store. I was forever changed. Now, I cannot even imagine going back to those crumbly, stiff, practically stale cookies that I grew up on.
These cookies may be a smaller version of that decadent first chewy cookie that I tried but they taste even better. I mean, obviously they taste better, they are the best soft and chewy peanut butter cookies.
Soft and chewy is my new standard peanut butter cookie. And thank goodness for it!! They are my go to treat of choice to make when I am craving something sweet. Firstly, I always have all the ingredients in my pantry, so I don’t have to worry about making a trip to the grocery store. And secondly, I don’t have to wait an hour before I can eat these. It takes 10 minutes to prepare (basically while the oven is preheating anyways) and 8 minutes to bake. Yup, 8 minutes. When you are craving a delicious treat, nothing else is on your mind than taking that first bite. The amount of time it takes really matters!!
So what are you waiting for? Go ahead and bake a batch of these little beauties and pour yourself a nice tall glass of cold milk. It’s time to dunk away!
Tip: Store these cookies in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks… if there is even any left after 2 weeks! 🙂
What is better than classic, soft and chewy peanut butter cookies? Umm… not a whole lot comes to mind. Get ready to fall in love with a cookie.
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl, cream together the peanut butter, butter and sugars using a hand mixer (or a stand mixer), until soft and creamy.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and continue to mix until fully combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Add these dry ingredients to your large bowl slowly, continuously mixing using your mixer.
- Roll the dough into 1 inch balls and place on an ungreased, parchment-lined baking sheet. Using a fork, press down on each ball of dough to slightly flatten and create a criss-cross pattern.
- Bake for 8 minutes or as soon as tops begin to slightly crack. To keep them soft and chewy, be careful to not overbake. Let cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes and then transfer to a wire rack.