Imagine having a nice big serving of mashed potatoes but with a quarter of the calories. Now you can with creamy garlic mashed cauliflower! That’s right, cauliflower.
I had heard and read about cauliflower mashed potatoes for a while before I decided to attempt to make it myself. And believe me, I was the biggest skeptic of all! How is it possible that a boring vegetable such as a cauliflower can live up to the delicious potato in its amazing creamy mashed form? Well, it does. It just does.
I mean just look at it! It looks identical to mashed potatoes. But the main question is what about the taste? Well, you will be pleasantly surprised that when taking a bite, you can barely tell the difference in both texture and taste. Of course, it is slightly different but the difference is minuscule enough to pass for the real thing!
So what is the point of using cauliflower instead of potatoes? Well cauliflower is way healthier for you! Potatoes are starchy and full of carbs and contain 4 times the amount of calories than that in the same serving of cauliflower. That is enough for me to make the switch! Also, unlike potatoes, cauliflower cooks fast! That means, you can have this side dish ready to serve in about 20 minutes!
So what has to be done in those 20 minutes. Let’s break it down. All you need to do is add the cauliflower to a pot of boiling salted water. Turn down the heat to medium, cover and cook for 15 minutes. In the meantime, you can heat the butter and sauté the garlic for a couple of minutes. This is optional. You could skip the sautéing and add the butter and raw garlic directly into your food processor in the next step. However, I highly recommend doing this step. When you sauté the garlic, it brings out an amazing flavour that you just don’t get when it is raw. It also infuses the garlic flavour into the butter which takes it to a whole ‘nother level.
Once the cauliflower is cooked, simply drain and add it to your food processor, along with the rest of the ingredients. Puree for a minute or two and voila! You have yourself some delicious and healthy creamy garlic cauliflower mash. Serve it hot and garnish with some chives or rosemary on top.
I will definitely be making this regularly but I seriously can’t wait until next Thanksgiving! I know it is so far away but I am excited to see if I can fool my guests 🙂
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped into quarters
- 3 tbsp. milk
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- chives or rosemary for garnish (optional)
- Bring a pot of salted water to boil. Add the cauliflower florets and turn the heat down to medium. Cook covered for 15 minutes until cauliflower is soft and tender.
- Meanwhile, heat butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Saute the garlic for about 2 minutes until soft. Set aside.
- When the cauliflower is cooked, remove from heat and drain.
- In a food processor, add the cooked cauliflower, sautéed garlic and the butter it was cooked in, milk, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Puree until smooth.
- Serve hot and sprinkle some chives or rosemary on top.
Pair this creamy garlic mashed cauliflower with:
- The Juiciest Baked Chicken with Greek Souvlaki Marinade
- Quick and Easy Sautéed Asparagus
- Search Persian Style Lamb Chops (Lamb Shashlik)
- Roasted Lemon Garlic Shrimp and Asparagus
- Healthy Lemon Chicken
- Pan-fried Garlic Prawns with Soy Sauce
- Chicken Thighs with Green Beans and Potatoes in Tomato Sauce