Gluten-free, dairy-free, or vegetarian? If you are on a strict diet, you can still eat delicious and flavourful foods like this Thai yam and sweet potato yellow curry. This recipe combines two of my favourite things: starchy vegetables and Thai curry! Ready in under 30 minutes, try this delicious and creamy vegetarian yellow curry tonight!
My husband and I went to a Thai and Malaysian fusion restaurant on the weekend and we ordered the tasting menu. It was an amazing 9-courses of the featured dishes in their menu. We were served everything from a mango salad, satay skewers, caramelized ginger fish, potato yellow curry and deep fried banana for dessert! Yup, some salivating stuff!! One of my favourites was the potato yellow curry. It inspired me to cook up my own rendition. As I looked at my potato bin under my sink, I saw a rather sad pile consisting of a single yam and 2 sweet potatoes. So, since I had run out of potatoes, I decided to use those vegetables instead. And boy was it a good choice! It turned out delicious! 🙂
This recipe is quick and easy so it makes an ideal weeknight dinner option. To make it, you will need to set aside 5 to 10 minutes of prep time to chop up your yam and sweet potato and to slice your sweet onion. Now, you are ready to cook. Saute your sweet onion until it is translucent and emanates a delicious aroma. Add in your vegetables, yellow curry paste and coconut milk and simmer for 20 minutes. Then, add and mix in a few other ingredients. That’s it folks! Yes, this recipe is a cinch!
Tip: To make this dish vegan, don’t add the fish sauce in the recipe below!
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- ½ medium sweet onion, sliced
- 1 sweet potato, cubed
- 1 yam, cubed
- 2 and ½ tbsp. yellow curry paste
- 1 - 14 oz. can of lite coconut milk
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch, dissolved in 3 tbsp. cold water
- 4 cups spinach
- ½ tbsp. Thai fish sauce (optional)
- 1 tsp. lime juice
- ¼ cup and 2 tbsp. chopped peanuts
- In a wok, heat oil over medium heat.
- Saute the sweet onions until translucent.
- Add the sweet potato, yam, and and curry paste. Toss until combined.
- Add the coconut milk and cornstarch mixture (cornstarch dissolved in water) and mix well.
- Turn heat down on low and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach, fish sauce (optional), lime juice and ¼ cup of peanuts. Cook for 1 minute.
- Serve over rice and garnish with 2 tbsp. of chopped peanuts.