This delicious roasted butternut squash soup sums up the taste of the holidays in one spoon. Rosemary, sage and thyme, need I say more?
- 1 large butternut squash
- 2 carrots
- 3 stalks of celery
- 1 large onion
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 6 sage leaves
- 6 sprigs of thyme
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne red pepper powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 and 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Peel, pit and chop the butternut squash into 1 inch squares. Add to a large roasting pan.
- Chop the carrots, celery and onions in big chunks and add to the pan.
- Peel the garlic and add cloves whole.
- Add the herbs, red pepper powder, salt and pepper. Add olive oil and toss to coat.
- Roast for 1 hour (or up to 1 hour and 15 minutes, if the veggies are not yet soft).
- Once the vegetables and herbs are roasted, add to food processor with 1 cup of vegetable stock and puree. Remove the stems from the herbs before pureeing.
- Pour mixture into a large saucepan. Add the remaining vegetable stock and stir well.
- Simmer on low for 10 minutes.