This is my FIRST BLOG POST!!! And naturally, I am going to blog about what I made for lunch today 🙂 = mixed greens salad with balsamic vinaigrette.
When I want to make a quick and easy salad, this is my go-to recipe. A big bowl of this stuff fills me up at lunch. You can also serve it as a side dish with your dinner. This salad is versatile. Add your favourite fruits and veggies. I only added tomatoes, but it tastes great with sliced cucumbers, olives and even strawberries. For extra protein, I highly suggest slicing some juicy, baked chicken breast with Greek souvlaki marinade on top.
To go along with my go-to salad, I’ve also made my go-to dressing. Balsamic vinaigrette is my dressing of choice with this salad. Making your own dressings enables you to know exactly what ingredients you are putting in. It eliminates all the sugars and preservatives found in many store-bought dressings. Plus, when you are in control, you can keep the calories low. I am an easy on the dressing type of girl, so if you like more dressing, I would suggest that you double the ingredients for a larger output.
You can also top this salad with your favourite nuts or seeds. I normally garish this salad with toasted pumpkin seeds and cranberries, but I didn’t have any on hand 🙁
- 5 oz. bag of spring mix or greens
- 10 grape tomatoes
- ½ cucumber
- ¼ cup feta cheese, crumbled or cubed
- 2 tbsp. toasted pumpkin seeds (optional)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- ½ tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- ¼ tsp. salt (or to taste)
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper (or to taste)
- Make the dressing: Combine the balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a small bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the remaining ingredients.
- Pour the dressing into the salad and toss to coat.