Once we have made our Sugar Cookies and allowed them to cool, we are almost ready to decorate! First, you will need to make royal icing (see recipe below).
There are 2 ways to make royal icing. You can either use egg whites or meringue powder. I opt for the meringue powder, mainly because I don’t have to worry about disclosing that my icing contains raw eggs! My favourite to use is the Wilton Meringue Powder which can be found at Michael’s or online on Amazon.
Divide the icing into smaller portions and mix a few different colours. Cover the icing with a wet towel when you are not using it to prevent it from drying out!
Now, let’s decorate 🙂
Step 1: Outline (aka. “dam”)
Step 2: Fill (aka. “flood”)
Step 3: Decorate with sprinkles
ALL DONE! 🙂 I can’t wait to take them in and share with my co-workers!
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons meringue powder
- ¼ cup water
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- food colouring (optional)
- In large bowl, combine the meringue powder with the confectioners' sugar
- Add the water and vanilla extract and beat with a mixer on medium-high until smooth. If you find that the icing is too thick, add more water. If too think, add more sugar.
- Add food coloring, if desired. Note that if you are adding liquid food colouring, this will have an effect on your consistency. You may need to add more sugar to thicken it out.